15 March 2008

Just another day

"Write it in your heart that every day is the best day of the year" [emerson]
Today is my eigth year anniversary. I was diagnosed 2920 days ago but I definitely did not think that everyone of those days was the best day of the year. Times have changed and so have I and now I can do nothing but believe that each day is wonderful, even when it's not. I have an amazingly supportive family and great friends who I know will always be there when I need them. Diabetes was just another blessing in disguise. It takes time to realize and I finally did a few years ago. I'll never know if I would be the strong woman I am becoming without diabetes but part of me is glad to not know. I get angry and frustrated and want to scream and cry because of it but it will never break me.
When I was diagnosed the doctors told us that they were coming so close to a cure that it would probably happen in the "next five or ten years!". Well it's been eight but I'm in no hurry. I could be nice to not constantly check my blood sugar or carry around needles and tiny glass bottles but c'est la vie. Until there is a cure, if in my lifetime, I will live each day as is it the best day of the year.
My parents gave me a card with the Emerson quote on it and it couldn't have been more perfect. Well now I'm off to celebrate my day. I'm getting a massage ;) and probably doing some retail therapy.
To a wonderful day.

6 comments:

Naomi said...

And just what is the perfect shopping experience to go with this milestone?

I hope you had a great massage. where do you go? I've discovered Blue Heron wellness in silver spring & I love it!

jules said...

well I went to the Aveda salon in Chinatown. It was great, very relaxing. Then I walked around Chinatown a bit, it was a gorgeous day! And did a little damage at my favorite store Zara.

Naomi said...

Oooh, I haven't been to Zara but I hear that it is very nice. Lately my shopping excursions are limited to Target. BOO!

k2 said...

Happy Celebration of your life!!!!
k2

Naomi said...

Jules, I tag you!

http://mywildandpreciouslife.blogspot.com/2008/03/six-word-memoir.html

Alissa said...

I didn't know March 5th was your anniversary day. Mine is coming up on June 27th (hard to forget the day) and it's the five year one. seems like a long time, but it's hard to remember the times beforehand.